New Update!

Hello everyone. All of my Reviews, that I have yet to write, will be posted sporadically during the summer. After the end of this summer, I will not be posting on here anymore, as you will see the info on the right side of the blog.
Thanks for your understanding.

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Prelude and Fugue By: Laura Haley-McNeil *Author Interview*


Goodreads Description

The Prelude-Olivia St. Claire wanted to be good at something. What better way than to start studying piano again? And what better teacher than former concert pianist Liam Wallace? She found him attractive, beyond attractive, but her heart was safe. He was married and he showed no interest in her. If he wouldn’t love her, she would make sure he loved the way she played.

The Fugue-But her heart couldn’t be controlled. She now had the opportunity to perform with him. And that’s when everything fell apart. When she heard the music, she couldn’t control what she might say or do. She wanted to be good at something. And when that happened, she lost more than her heart. She lost a chance to capture something that meant more to her than anything she’d ever dreamed.



My Interview With The Author

Tell us a little about you : ) 

I am a pianist married to a pianist. Music has been my life for many years. Because I love music, I thought, why not write about it? This led to my writing a book entitled Prelude and Fugue.

How did you come up with the concept for this story? 

I based Prelude and Fugue on my love of music and my knowledge of the industry. I wanted to write a story that depicted a musician’s life. Not that musicians don’t have the same dreams and hopes as everyone else, but I had never read anything that accurately showed this lifestyle and thought it would be a good background for a book, thus was born Prelude and Fugue.

How long did it take to write? 

I started Prelude and Fugue about twelve years ago. Over the years, the book has morphed into several different stories. Prelude and Fugue’s final version is quite different than the original story.

Which character(s) were the most fun writing? 

I’m so glad you asked that question. Creating Prelude and Fugue’s main character, Olivia St. Claire, was a blast. She became the person I wanted to be in her actions and in her speech. She acts first, thinks later, and lives, sometimes unhappily, with the consequences.

Did you have to research, and if yes, how was that process? 

One thing I wanted to depict in Prelude and Fugue was how music felt. I listened to certain pieces and tried to analyze every aspect of the score through all of my senses, then I put what I felt on paper. In Prelude and Fugue, I wanted the reader to be totally immersed in the music. Please let me know if I succeeded.

What do you want readers to get from your story? 

As I said earlier, musicians are like everyone else, with hopes and dreams, fears and insecurities. When a musician performs, s/he has one attempt to make that performance perfect, and then that attempt is engraved into perpetuity. Musicians make performing look easy, but the audience must realize that the performance they observe is founded on years of preparation. Studying music is a job. Professional musicians practice six or more hours every single day. As one musician once said, “If I skip one day of practice, I notice. If I skip two days of practice, the whole world notices it.”

How long have you been writing? 

I’ve been writing since I could pick up a pencil. I’ve always lived in a fantasy world. That world would swell inside my mind and plague me until I would release it. The best way to give that world life was to transcribe it.

Is there a place you especially like to write? 

I’ve set up a corner in our family room. It’s surrounded by windows so I can look outside even though I can’t be outside.

What are you currently working on? 

Rhapsody in Blood is about a concert pianist named Vanessa Sterling. To outsiders, her life appears idyllic, but the secret she buried years ago has resurrected itself and now seeks her destruction.

For aspiring writers, do you have any advice for them? 

You will always be a writer. You will never not be able to write. Breathe life into your stories and characters, otherwise they will pursue and never give you peace. Because the writing industry has changed so much these past few years, your chances are quite good that you will publish your story.

Who are your ultimate favorite Authors? 

Charles Dickens, Edgar Allan Poe, Oscar Wilde, Somerset Maugham, Victoria Holt among a million others. I love how these authors craft words to paint the most beloved characters and vivid pictures inside my mind.

What are your favorite genres to read? 

I love historicals, and I love mysteries, especially psychological mysteries. I also like books set in the South.

Have you read any books lately? Which ones?

John Verdon’s books satisfy my yearning for psychological mysteries. Anne Rivers Siddons and Pat Conroy write beautifully about the South. Right now I’m rereading Moby Dick. I identify with Ahab’s tortured soul.

Do you have a favorite film(s)? What is it?

I could watch Gone with the Wind a thousand times and never tire of that movie. It’s based in the South and the character acts first and thinks later, satisfying two of my requirements for a story. Her love for her family is admirable especially since they resent her yet freely take what she offers them.

Film you are looking forward to see in theaters? 

I rarely see films, though I will probably stream The Hobbit.

(This is if you watch the Oscars) Do you have any picks for winners for this upcoming Academy Awards? 

Since I’m unfamiliar with the films nominated this year, I probably won’t watch the program.

Thank you so much for answering my Qs! ~Marissa  

Thank you for the opportunity, Marissa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read what you have to write and I like to write back, so feel free to comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered By Blogger