New Update!

Hello everyone. All of my Reviews, that I have yet to write, will be posted sporadically during the summer. After the end of this summer, I will not be posting on here anymore, as you will see the info on the right side of the blog.
Thanks for your understanding.

Friday, July 20, 2012

(Review) Crux By: Julie Reece

Hello! First, I want to say thank you so much to Debut Author Challenge ARC Tours for letting me participate in this tour! Also, thank you to the Publisher (J. Taylor Publishing) for ARC. This was a wonderful story, and I'm so glad to be sharing it with all of you. Thank you for stopping by! :)

Blurb Via Goodreads


She should have run. Now, she’ll have to fight.
Eighteen year old Birdie may be homeless, but she’s surviving, that is until a mysterious guy throws money in the air like a crazy game show host, and she grabs some with the idea she’ll be able to buy dinner that night.

In that singular moment, unassuming Birdie becomes the girl in everyone’s viewfinder. Thugs want to kill her. Money-guy wants to recruit her. The very hot, very rich, and very out of her league Grey Mathews wants to save her.

Birdie, though, wants nothing to do with any of them, until she realizes fate didn’t bring them all together.

Her heritage did.

Now, with only twenty-one days left, she’s got to decide whether to follow in the footsteps of those before her or risk her life for people she’s only just met.

Book Trailer 

 Review
This was an excellent story! I was really intrigued when I first read the blurb, so I was sure that I would like this novel, but ended up loving it. The story itself was well developed and creative. Birdie has had a hard life, going from foster home to foster home until the age of eighteen, and then she was on her own, literally. For a few months she was living on the streets and surviving the best she can, but then one day, there's this huge change in luck, and that is when a mysterious man rounds some people up together (including Birdie) and gives them free money; Free Money! Wow right? Well, there's a dilemma, as there were also greedy people at that gathering, and they chase after Birdie to get her portion. As Birdie runs, she runs into the Mathews family, whom includes Grey Mathews. As the story goes on, there are still the thug type people after Birdie, but there's also something that she learns from that mysterious man who gave all that money to strangers. Birdie learns some pretty interesting, magical, mythological stuff, and it's all very intriguing. The only thing is, is she willing to fight in a war and possibly lose the best friend she has ever had (Greg)? That is something you have to read for yourself, and let me say, it's worth the read!
What I also liked in this novel, were the characters. They were written really well, as you can even relate to some characters including Birdie and Greg. I loved reading this in the present tense and from Birdie's POV. It just helped so much, to be in her head, as she experiences things she has never experienced before, and to just go along her journey was just wonderful, thrilling even. Her personality is in ways relatable, and I love connecting to the characters, as I then feel more connected to the book. And Greg...I really really liked him. He's just a great guy, and so nice, gentle, and sincere with Birdie. This is definitely a romance not to miss! And you may like that there's a musical quality to Greg so watch out for that; I loved it! So all in all, there were great likable characters and cool action/fighting scenes that may make you wish you were in the story too. Reece's writing is electrifying, and I can't wait to read another one of her novels! This is definitely one I recommend! :)
My Rating: 4.5/5
PG-13 Rating
About Julie Reece
Hey! I'm Julie Reece and I write Young Adult novels. I live in Atlanta with my husband, and daughters, and am passionate about animals, underdogs, and dark chocolate. I love to read urban fantasy, paranormal romance ... okay, pretty much anything YA.
Twitter Username:  julieareece

6 comments:

  1. Hi!

    I just wanted to drop by and thank the awesome For The Love of Film And Novels for all the encouraging things said about my debut novel :) I love movies and books (definately in my top ten) so I love that they are combined here ... and with such style, too! :)

    If you plan to read Crux, I really hope you enjoy it, and thanks for stopping by and checking it out. :)

    XOXOXO
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really loved reading your story, and will definitely read any upcoming work! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi:

    Saw your comment on Blogaholic. Nice blog.

    NEW FOLLOWER.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! I saw your blog, and am a new follower! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Marissa!

    Thanks for the great review! Crux sounds like an interesting story and I am always looking for something new to read! I will have to check it out!

    Also, I am your 100th follower! And, I really like your blog. I noticed that our blogs are somewhat similar because mine also focuses on both book and movies! Feel free to stop by and follow and check it out!

    Best Wishes!
    Mia @ The Muses Circle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you read it; it's unpredictable, and refreshing!
      And wow thanks for being my 100th follower; very much appreciate it!
      I just saw your blog, and like it because you also feature film reviews [something I gotta catch up on :)]. I see you are going to review Savages. That's one I really want to see, so I will look out for your review! :)

      Delete

I love to read what you have to write and I like to write back, so feel free to comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered By Blogger