New Update!

Hello everyone. All of my Reviews, that I have yet to write, will be posted sporadically during the summer. After the end of this summer, I will not be posting on here anymore, as you will see the info on the right side of the blog.
Thanks for your understanding.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Review of Westridge By: Heather Lin

Hello everyone! Today, I am hosting, for CBLS Promotions, a Review of Westridge By: Heather Lin! First you will see a Blurb of this story, and an excerpt! There will also be the Author's Bio below with Contact and Buy links. Glad You Stopped By! :) 





Title: Westridge
Author: Heather Lin
Publisher: Silver Publishing
Length: 178 pages
Genres: Contemporary Romance

Blurb:

Gabby Jones and Jason Dawson were born only months apart in the small, country town of Westridge. For the next eighteen years, they were inseparable, but after their high school graduation, Gabby got on a bus to the city, leaving Jason with a weak explanation and a broken heart. After five years of making it a point to avoid her old flame, Gabby comes home for a funeral and, thanks to meddling parents and circumstance, she and Jason are thrown together again.
But now Jason is an auto mechanic with an ex-wife and a daughter, and Gabby owns a successful flower shop in the city. Even if Gabby is able to admit she still loves Jason, and even if Jason is able to convince her to tell him the real reason she left, will they be able to get past the changes and broken pieces in time to start over?

Excerpt: 

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Jason demanded, slamming the door to his truck shut.

"I'm leaving."

Gabby had to work hard to keep her chin raised and her lips from trembling.

"Just like that? And all I get is a note in my locker on the last day of school?"

He threw a crumpled piece of paper at her feet. Her parents had dropped her off at the bus stop, but they were long gone. If that goodbye had been painful, this one would be excruciating -- which was exactly why she'd tried to avoid it.

"I told you in the note--"

"And now you can tell me to my face."

He was making a scene. Gabby was embarrassed, and the tears she'd tried desperately to keep at bay burned in her eyes.

"There isn't anything to do in this town. I just need to see what else is out there."

"This is bullshit, Gabby. A few months ago, we were talking about getting married."

Her voice rose as she lied desperately through her teeth, trying to keep control.

"Well, I changed my mind."

The bus pulled up, and Jason's anger turned to pleading.

"Don't, Gabby. If you need some time away from this place, I'll go with you."

"You belong here, Jason."

"I belong with you."

"Not anymore."

Then she turned and boarded the bus, ignoring the stares. She managed to hold the tears back until he was out of sight.

* * * *
The pain of the memory was scorching, surprising Gabby with its intensity. She opened her eyes. She had to get a hold of herself. She looked past the old man reading a magazine, her gaze falling on the houses outside. They were reaching the suburbs, but her destination lay far beyond that. Gabby groaned and firmly pushed the last image she had of her high school sweetheart out of her mind. The next few days were going to be hell.
* End Of Excerpt


My Review: 
What an excerpt right? I think with that snippet from the story, and the blurb, you can get an idea how the story is maybe going to go. While I was reading, I was thinking, ok they are obviously going to have a confrontation of some sort at some point, and glad to say it happens sooner than I thought. The characters, Gabby and Jason, were constructed pretty well. We know that they have known each other since they were babies and they became friends that led to them dating and forming a strong love connection with one another. I thought that was really sweet. These are characters that are very familiar with each other and can read each other easily, and that is felt in the scenes, in the writing, in the dialogue. Lin's writing overall is wonderful, and she connects these characters really great. The story overall flowed pretty good. I was hesitant with Jason's ex-wife, Rosa, who was the one in high school that always wanted to get Jason's attention while he was with Gabby (typical) and of course she and Jason end up together and getting married after Gabby abruptly leaves, and they even have a baby together. That is hard on Gabby when she comes back to Westridge     and I also felt that when she sees Rosa and Jason talking or when their daughter Penny is around. Gabby still hurts inside by seeing them as a family, or in their case two divorced parents with their young daughter, forgot to mention that, but yes Rosa and Jason do divorce, as they realized that they just weren't for each other. But anyways, there's a reason that Gabby left for the city five years ago, and I wanted to know it asap, but it's revealed at an appropriate time, so this story keeps you on your toes, and I think it's one to read. I Recommend this Book! 


*My Rating: 4/5
*My Audience Rating: PG-13ish


Please visit the other tour stops as well. There are Interviews/Guest Posts/A Book Feature/Another Review so here's the link :)


About The Author: 
Heather lives in Delaware with her loving husband and loyal cat. She began writing erotic and slightly less-erotic romance in 2008 and hasn't been able to keep her mind out of the gutter since. Her next novel, a futuristic romance called The System, is due out in August from Silver Publishing. Until then, feel free to check out her short stories, which can be found at TheEroticWoman.com, in the Coming Together anthologies, and through New Concepts Publishing. Visit Heather at http://heatherlin88.blogspot.com/.

This novel is available at:

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Marissa! I just wanted to stop by and say thank you for reading Westridge and giving it your honest opinion. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your so welcome; it was a great moving story! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read what you have to write and I like to write back, so feel free to comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...